Monday, November 21, 2005

DIY Save the Date Magnets


Here's my try on DIY! I used my phone to take these pictures because I couldn't find the usb to upload the ones I took from my digicam.





I'm almost done with our Save the Date Magnets. I still have to make around 25 magnets, insert them in note cards, print address labels and mail them. This was a 2-month project which is not so "me", but things got really busy the last few months for Randy & I.

The caricature idea came from a
w@wie, Haidee. I showed it to Randy and he said he likes the idea, only he wanted it in black & white. So I surfed the net to find the one who can make a nice caricature of us.

Last September, thought of Paulo, my youngest sister's (Maecy) boyfriend. He said he'll try. I understood, he's in college now and I know he's very busy. I wanted a filipino to draw us because i doubt if a non-filipino will understand a barong tagalog, unless a picture is shown. I don't wanna go through the whole ordeal of explaining that I Randy should be drawn in a formal filipino wear and not a tuxedo or a suit.

Randy & I got very busy and almost forgot about the caricature.

By mid-October, Paulo sent me a pic he drew. I was laughing because it really looked like us! Ang galing. All I did was enhanced the drawing by inking the hair, and adding details to the barong & the gown.

By early November, I was already a "suki" at Kinko's figuring how to print a nice image to a nice paper so I can put it on an adhesive magnet. Found a glossy paper (sort of like a photo paper). Then kinko's offered me to do the magnets, it was tempting but I said no. I know I can do it but I just need to find the right materials. See, the magnets I like are the thicker, sturdier adhesive ones...and I only found thin ones at Michael's (1' x 2'). Then at Officemax, I saw the magnets I like...only in a business card (2 x 3 1/2) size. My Save the Dates measurement, by the way, is 2.5 x 3.25. Arghhh!

I inquired at Kinko's about their lamilabels. They are a laminate material with a sticker at the back. I figured, If I use this lamilabel, my image (on a glossy not so thick paper) will be thicker then I can stick it on the thin magnets I saw at Michael's! So I asked how much per piece (8.5 x 11). 2 freaking dollars!!! Out of my budget. (note: by this time, I can hear Randy's voice, we have to stick to our budget, Drei!). So shempre, parang nakokonsensya naman ako.

Finally, I just decided to go with the ones at Officemax. My resourcefulness, creativity (ha!) and best of all...patience will just be tested once again, I thought. I'm not really Martha-Stewart-crafty-kind-of-person but I can, when needed. Besides, I can spend time doing stuff like this since I'm at home most of the time anyway.

I also bought these blank notecards at Target. Bright Pink cards with orange envelopes AND orange cards with bright pink envelopes.



Last night, after we came home from church I started doing them. I was soooo focused that I didn't notice the time. Well, at least I finished 77 pcs (for July 7...hehehehe). I ran out of magnets, that's why. Otherwise, I know I wouldh've finished all 100+ of them magnets! Ha!




This will be the end result of my labor of love...and stress, by the way! (That Kinko's Union City manager drove me nuts! Good thing other staff were very very helpful.)


I will use this stamp...it's pink & orange too!


Note: Thanks to Paulo Santiago for the caricature. Also to Haidee (fellow w@wie) for a cute idea!

2 Comments:

Blogger shellybeeens said...

wow, ms. martha wanna-be. i love your magnets. i am doing magnets too for STD,too. I've been looking for cards and envelopes to put them in. How did you attache the magnets to the card?

7:55 PM  
Blogger Glo said...

Hey these came out really nice. As in labor of love nga. Sometimes I tell myself "pinaparusahan ko lang sarili ko" pero after seeing final product, di maiexplain talaga yung satisfaction.

Ang ganda talaga. Pede engeng isa? Hahah! Take care.

1:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Free Hit Counter

Powered by Blogger

WeddingsAtWork.com