Monday, August 15, 2005

On childhood games...

During my younger years, I've always loved playing games...with or without playmates. I was an only child for 9 years and so aside from my cousins who i would play with during weekends and my yaya, my frequent playmate is myself. Yes, I have mastered the art of playing by myself. It's fun because I never lose. hahaha!

There was the jackstones, which i love to play even just by myself. I particularly like the metillic plated ones or the plastic ones with neon colors. I remember i always choose the ball...no, not the brown one that doesn't bounce high enough. I like the almost gel-like kind sometimes with glitters inside.

Chinese jackstones came. These little pillows (almost the size of a tea bag) with monggo beans or rice inside. I don't particularly remember how many pillows..3 or 4 maybe, plus another one with a different fabric to be used as your ball. I've played both...complete with exhibitions pa ha!

Street games were always fun. Sure. Sadly, I don't have much memories of patintero, habulan-base, cops & robbers, habulan line, and tumbang-preso in our neighborhood. But i remember playing langit-lupa (langit lupa impyerno im, im, impyerno) and monkey monkey in school though during recess and lunch break. But the most fun, for me is taguan (hide and seek). Remember the phrase we recite/sing..."Wala sa likod, wala sa harap, wala sa gilid. Pagkabilang kong sampu naka-tago na kayo..1..2..3..and so on." Even when our friends were older we would still do it! Funny how we would secretly assign one person on that day, and when he's "it" already, we would just go home and call it a day (which he doesn't know, btw). poor guy (or girl), gabi na hinahanap pa kami!

Now, who would not forget the "bato bato pick"...and "kampihan"..or the "pendong kotseng kuba" days? And who can forget all those games we call "bahay-bahayan", "tinda-tindahan", "bangko-bangkuhan", "teacher-teacheran", etc. I love to play bahay-bahayan with my cousins but only if i play the katulong. yung tipong inaapi-api. hahahaha! those days were so fun & funny!

How about the chinese garter & 10/20? Fun di ba?

As I grew older, we found these games too childish for me thus looking for more mature games. Remember Game & Match (octupus is my favorite!)? How about Tetris? Frogger?

I cannot relate to Playstation, XBox, etc. though.

I wrote this because for months now, I have been very addicted to
Bejeweled 2. My goodness! I could spend hours just beating my old score! Very contradicting nga kasi the game gets stressful but i feel it's a stress reliever for me. When my mind is tired, I'd just play it. I used to play Zuma & Rocketmania too, but Bejeweled2 is the best!

How about you, what is the one(or two or three) childhood game/s you love most? How about now?

4 Comments:

Blogger Willy and Lolita said...

edrei.. im sooo addicted to bejeweled 2.. have it on my PDA.. i have the one with hearts.. valentines edition i guess. have u tried bounce out? heheh

by the way, il try to send a pic of my friends wedding gown.. she wore a beaded bolero by veluz =)

my family is in CA also.. san ka ba dun?

11:34 AM  
Blogger edrei said...

peach, o di ba? bejeweled is soo addicting! yeah, i used to play bounce out too and tip top! hahaha! yes, i'd love to see the bolero that veluz made, thanks! i'm in hayward, half an hour away from SF. They call it northern california/bay area. we're next near union city, fremont, pleasanton, san leandro. saan mom mo?

1:26 PM  
Blogger edrei said...

rhona..i know what you mean! randy's 14 y/o niece spends too much time in the computer, over the phone or infront of the tv. haaay, it's summer naman daw. randy disagrees and tells her she can do a lot of things like house chores, summer class or camp, or ask me to teach her how to cook... dinamay pa ako!

1:29 PM  
Blogger joy said...

*sigh!* wish we could bring back those good old days playing patintero, piko and luksong-tinik..;-) it's really a pity kids nowadays do not know the real meaning of playing. hi-tech na kc kids ngyn. Basta, when we'll have our own kids, we'll still teach them those games an truly pinoy! ;-)

10:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Free Hit Counter

Powered by Blogger

WeddingsAtWork.com